The nominees for the RGVSports.com & Rio Grande Valley Sports Awards have been selected.
The event will be held June 11 in Weslaco.
The nominees for each category were nominated and selected by the sports editors of The Brownsville Herald, Valley Morning Star, The Monitor, and the Mid-Valley Town Crier.
The RGV Hall Of Fame also had a vote in the process through its board president, Ronnie Zamora.
The winners in each category will be announced at the June 11 event, which is to be held at the Weslaco Independent School District's Performance Arts Center at 503 E. 6th St.
The sports awards banquet will begin at 7 p.m.
The nominees are:
5A Program of the Year:
- Los Fresnos
- Harlingen South
Sub-5A Program of the Year:
- Port Isabel
- Valley View
In boys athletics, the nominees for the top individual awards are:
5A Boys Athlete of the Year:
- Tres Barrera, Sharyland
- Nick Garcia, Harlingen South
- Carlos Acevedo, Brownsville Hanna
Sub-5A Boys Athlete of the Year:
- Jose 'Torito' Soto, Valley View
- Ralph Rubalcaba, Raymondville
- Reyes Espino, Valley View
In girls athletics, the nominees for the top individual awards are:
5A Girls Athlete of the Year:
- Keila Rodriguez, Brownsville Rivera
- Leigha Brown, Edinburg Economedes
- Jessica Peisen, McAllen High School
Sub-5A Girls Athlete of the Year:
- Maggie Vasquez, Lyford
- Danielle Murchinson, Port Isabel
- Briana Casas, Mission Veterans
The top coaching awards are also broken down into 5A and sub-5A nominees.
Among the men's/boys team sports, the top coaching nominees are:
- Luis Garza, Brownsville Porter
- Reyes Prado, Brownsville Hanna
- David Cantu, Brownsville Veterans Memorial
- Arnold Martinez, Valley View
- Karl Carrasco, Hidalgo
- Monty Stumbaugh, Port Isabel
- Damon Magallan, Valley View
For women's/girls team sports, the coaching nominees are:
- Griselda Fino, Weslaco
- Kim Edquist, Los Fresnos
- Elias Martinez, San Benito
- Debbie Esparza, Harlingen South
- Joey Palacios, Edcouch-Elsa
- Jose Constantino, Mercedes
- Diana Lerma, Mission Veterans
The sports awards will also honor the top teams in both 5A and sub-5A play.
In 5A, the top team nominees for boys teams are:
- Brownsville Porter (basketball)
- Sharyland (football)
- Brownsville Hanna (soccer)
For sub-5A boys teams, the nominees are:
- Valley View (soccer)
- Port Isabel (football)
- Hidalgo (baseball)
The top nominees for girls team sports are in 5A:
- Weslaco (basketball)
- San Benito, (softball)
- Los Fresnos, (soccer)
For sub-5A top girls teams are:
- Port Isabel (volleyball)
- Mercedes (soccer)
- Lyford (basketball)
The sports awards will also honor a Moment of the Year to commemorate a key event or special moment in time during the 2012-13 school year.
The nominees are:
- Valley View making the breakthrough and reaching the final four of 4A boys soccer.
- Port Isabel's 96-year drive late in a third round playoff game to secure a 35-28 win.
- Donna sophomore hurdler Vince Castillo races to gold medal at the 5A state track meet.
There will be one additional award given. It is the Robert Vela Lifetime Achievement Award. A winner has been selected and will be announced before the June 11 event.
In addition to the winners picked by sports editors and the hall of fame, the sports awards will also recognize the top three finishers in fan polls that are now active through May 31 at valleystar.com, themonitor.com, brownsvilleherald.com, and rgvsports.com.